The new store is located at 130 South Center Street in downtown Reno – the original home to the Hudson Motor Car Company
Ventura, Calif. – After a twenty year history, Patagonia has moved its Reno outlet store to a historic downtown location. Patagonia has grown to nearly 350 employees in Reno, and so has demand for onsite childcare services. As a result, the Patagonia outlet store moved to downtown Reno to make room for the expansion of the Truckee River Child Development Center, the company’s onsite child care program that opened earlier this year.
The new outlet store is located at 130 South Center Street – the original home to the Hudson Motor Car Company. Patagonia will be the third user of this historic building in 69 years and it has taken efforts to restore the space: the original brick walls and cement floors have been refurbished and metal from the existing original auto elevator was repurposed for the finish on the cash wrap. Additionally, local reclaimed Douglas Fir wood was used for all interior trim elements.
Like all of Patagonia’s global stores, this year on Black Friday, November 25, 100 percent of sales made at the new Reno outlet will go to support grassroots environmental organizations. To date, through Patagonia’s one percent giving program, the Reno store has hosted regular community events around environmental initiatives and granted $897,850 to support local environmental activism efforts.
The distribution center, customer service team, and Truckee River Child Development Center will all remain at the original location at 8550 White Fir Street. The LEED-certified repair center remains the second largest in north America, fixing 45,000 piece of clothing per year.
The new downtown outlet space opened this week with several highlights:
Community Environmental Workspace
· Permanent in-store Environmental Space and Work Area: large worktables available for use during store hours.
· Large fixtures dedicated to local and global environmental messaging.
Local Art Installments
· Inside back wall mural hand painted by Erik Burke (mural is photographic reproduction of local photographer Steve Chandler's panoramic shot of Black Rock Desert)
· Exterior wall mural to come by Erik Burke
· Fine print of Nevada map installed and designed by local artists Peter Laxalt and Matthew McIver
Reclaimed and Environmental Materials
· The cash wrap is made with the store’s existing original auto elevator.
· Interior trim elements from local reclaimed Douglas Fir wood
· All walls brought back to buildings’ original brick
· Original floor restored
· Lighting (internal and external) is all LED
Reno By the Numbers
· Date that Outlet store and Distribution Center began giving environmental grants: 1996
· Number of enviro grants thus far: 213
· Total amount of grant money that Reno has given: $897,850 (will surpass 1 million in 2017)
Founded by Yvon Chouinard in 1973, Patagonia is an outdoor apparel company based in Ventura, California. A certified B-Corporation, Patagonia’s mission is to build the best product, cause no unnecessary harm and use business to inspire and implement solutions to the environmental crisis. The company is recognized internationally for its commitment to authentic product quality and environmental activism, contributing almost $80 million in grants and in-kind donations to date.